CanPowerSkate is an action-packed, high energy, instructional power skating program geared toward hockey and ringette skaters. It focuses on balance, power, agility, speed and endurance. Skills, technique and conditioning drills are taught in a progressive format with a coach to skater ratio of 1:10. This program is an excellent complement for those playing on hockey or ringette teams.
CanPowerSkate is geared to skaters aged six or older who have already developed the basic skills such as skating forwards & backwards, stopping on command, turning, jumping, etc. This is not a program for beginner skaters. For safety reasons participants should wear full hockey/ringette equipment that is CSA approved.
CanPower Level 1
Pre-requisite: Completed Pre-Power and/or working on the following skills:
- Skate backwards the width of the rink, alternating strides
- Skate forwards the length of the rink, alternating strides
- Stop forwards both ways, full stop
- Stop backwards, V stop preferred > full stop
- Have beginnings of outside edge
CanPower Level 2
Pre-requisite: Completed Power 1 and/or working on the following skills:
- Start of backwards crossovers
- Working on controlling outside edges
- Working on full crossovers backwards & forwards both directions
CanPower Level 3
Pre-requisite: Completed Power 2 and working on the following skills:
- One-foot slalom (skiing) forwards the width of the ice
- One-foot edges inside and outside forwards, beginning of backwards.
- One-foot stops
CanPower Level 4
Pre-requisite: Completed Power 3 and working on the following skills:
- One-foot slalom forwards – Length of ice; width of ice backwards
- All previous skills proficient
Participant’s skill abilities/registration time-slot will be reviewed on the first day. Please do not miss the first session as this will be the participant’s time-slot for the 10 week program. Groups will not change until after evaluations.
Pre-requisite: Completed CanSkate Stage 3 or initiation hockey, Timbits, Jr. Pronghorns, etc. and
- Be able to skate forwards – the length of the ice
- Be able to shuffle backwards – preferably able to go the width of the ice
- Should not need the boards for assisting with any stops
What are the Benefits of Participating in CanPowerSkate?
CanPowerSkate is the only nationally regulated power skating program in Canada. It was developed by a team of hockey, figure skating and ringette experts to teach the fundamentals of power skating in a progressive and sequential manner.
When you register your child for a CanPowerSkate program at the Lethbridge Skating Club, your child also becomes a member of Skate Canada, the national sport governing body for figure skating in Canada. Membership benefits in the CanPowerSkate program can include:
- participation in a unique skill testing system which includes award bars and ribbons
- parent information sheets
- progress updates and report cards
- special CanPowerSkate events and club functions
- opportunity to be talent-scouted
- opportunity to participate in a healthy lifestyle activity
How does CanPowerSkate work?
The CanPowerSkate program consists of skills divided into six levels, arranged in progressions gradually increasing in complexity. Levels 1 to 3 focus on the fundamentals of skating, Levels 4 to 6 place additional focus on the acquisition of efficient technique, speed, agility, technical aspects of stride and acceleration and skating with the puck/ring. Skaters are evaluated on skill level and are timed as they perform a test involving skills in a course-like pattern. The skater receives a mark combining his skill performance plus test time. This determines whether the skater receives a Bronze, Silver or Gold award bar for that Level.
The CanPowerSkate program is exclusive to Skate Canada and is available only to Skate Canada member clubs and sanctioned skating schools. All participants must be registered with Skate Canada. Only Skate Canada member Coaches trained and certified at a CanPowerSkate Coaches Course are qualified to instruct the CanPowerSkate program.